This white chocolate tart is so smooth and creamy and the toffee top gives it delightful crunch. For convenience you may prepare the tart a day ahead if necessary and leave the toffee part of the method until just before service.
What you need
1 cup flour
½ cup toasted almonds
¼ cup caster sugar
60g butter, chopped
4 egg yolks
2 tablespoons caster sugar, extra
½ cup cream
½ cup milk
2 tablespoons finely chopped glace ginger
1 teaspoon vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
225g CADBURY White Chocolate Melts
2-3 tablespoons caster sugar, extra
- COMBINE flour, nuts, sugar and butter in a food processor and process just until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the egg and process briefly until mixture begins to form lumps. Press into the base of a 23cm round fluted tart pan with a removable base and chill for 10 minutes. Prick well with a fork and then bake in a moderate oven 180°C for 20 minutes or until lightly golden around the edges. Reduce the oven to 160°C.
- BEAT the egg yolks and extra 2 tablespoons sugar until pale and creamy.
- COMBINE the cream, milk, ginger and vanilla in a small saucepan and heat to a simmer. Remove from the heat, add the chocolate and stir until smooth. Slowly add the chocolate mixture to the egg yolks, stirring until combined. Pour into the pastry case.
- BAKE for 40-50 minutes or until just set. Cool in the pan on a wire rack before chilling for at least 1 hour.
- SPRINKLE the top of the tart with remaining extra sugar, and then use a cook’s torch to melt and caramelise the sugar to form a toffee crust. Serve immediately.