Serve this deliciously dense cake for dessert with a dollop of cream and some fresh berries.
What you need
CADBURY Bournville Cocoa, extra, for dusting
Baked pears, for serving, optional
Cream, for serving
- COMBINE the sugar, coffee, butter and chocolate in a saucepan and cook gently, stirring until the sugar has dissolved and ingredients are well combined. Do not allow to boil. Transfer mixture to a bowl and cool for 30 minutes.
- ADD the eggs and beat well, then stir in the sifted flours and Cocoa until well combined. Pour into a greased and base-lined 28cm × 18cm slab pan.
- BAKE in a moderately slow oven 150°C for 1- 1¼ hours or until cooked. Cool in the pan. Dust with extra Cocoa before slicing and serve with baked pears and cream, if desired.
Preparation time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 1¾ hours
4 pears, peeled, cored and halved
⅔ cup caster sugar
30g butter, chopped
2 tablespoons water
1 vanilla pod, split
- PLACE the pears into a shallow baking dish. Sprinkle with sugar and dot with butter. Add water and vanilla pod to dish and cover with foil.
- BAKE in a moderately slow oven 150°C for 1½ hours. Increase heat to 200°C, remove foil and bake for a further 10-15 minutes or until lightly coloured.