Hot Cross Buns are a traditional favourite for Good Friday and Easter. They are even more delicious with the addition of Cadbury Baking chocolate chips. Yum!
What you need
4 cups plain flour
1½ teaspoons mixed spice
2 x 7g sachets dried yeast (2¼ -2½ teaspoons per sachet)
1/4 cup caster sugar
350ml lukewarm milk
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup sultanas
¾ cup CADBURY Milk Chocolate Baking Chips
½ cup currants
½ cup plain flour, extra
1/3-½ cup water, extra
¼ cup sugar, extra
¼ cup water, extra
½ teaspoon gelatine
- COMBINE the sifted flour and mixed spice with the yeast and sugar in a large bowl. Add warm milk and eggs to flour mixture. Use a flat-bladed knife to mix until dough almost comes together. Add fruit and chocolate. Use clean hands to finish mixing to form soft dough.
- TURN out onto a lightly floured board and knead until smooth and elastic. Return to bowl, cover with plastic wrap and leave in warm place for 1hour or until doubled in size.
- KNOCK back (punch down) dough to its original size. Knead until smooth then divide into 12, shape each portion into a ball, then place onto a greased tray about 1cm apart. Cover with plastic wrap. Set aside in a warm place for 30 minutes or until buns double in size.
- FOR THE CROSSES: Mix extra flour and water together in a small bowl until smooth, adding a little more water if paste is too thick. Spoon into a small resealable bag. Snip off 1 corner of bag. Pipe flour paste over tops of buns to form crosses. Bake in a moderately hot oven 190°C for 20-25 minutes or until cooked when tested. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
- FOR THE GLAZE: Combine extra sugar, extra water and gelatine in a small saucepan. Stir until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil and simmer for minute, then brush warm glaze over warm hot cross buns. Serve warm or at room temperature.