These are a rich twist on a Hot Cross Bun, and best eaten the day they are made.
What you need
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
20g butter, melted
1/3 cup caster sugar
7g sachet dried yeast
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups flour
½ cup sultanas
¼ cup flour, extra, for kneading and rolling
¾ cup CADBURY Milk Chocolate Baking Chips
1 egg, extra, beaten, for glazing
- COMBINE the milk, vanilla, butter, sugar and yeast and set aside in a warm place for 10-15 minutes or until foamy on top.
- ADD the eggs and then the flour and mix until dough almost comes together. Add sultanas then use clean hands to finish mixing to form soft dough.
- TURN out onto a floured board and knead until smooth and elastic. Return to a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and leave in warm and draft free place for 1-1½ hours or until doubled in size.
- KNOCK back the dough to its original size. Knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Roll out into a 30cm x 20 cm rectangle. Sprinkle with chocolate and then roll up from long side. Cut into 6 even pieces, place in well-greased 1/3 cup muffin pans and set aside in a warm, draft free place for 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
- BAKE in a moderate oven 180°C for 15 minutes. Remove briefly from oven to brush with extra egg. Return to oven and bake for a further 10 minutes or until cooked when tested. Allow to cool on a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
TIP: This is a sticky dough when first made, use a little extra flour if required, when kneading and rolling.