These moist little cakes are traditionally made from almonds in an oval shape for morning or afternoon tea. In fact, any time is good for a friand!
What you need
250g PHILADELPHIA Block Cream Cheese, softened
2 tablespoons caster sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
80g butter, melted
1½ cups icing sugar, sifted
1¼ cups ground almonds
½ cup flour
1⁄3 cup CADBURY Bournville Cocoa
½ teaspoon baking powder
6 egg whites, lightly whisked
250g PHILADELPHIA Frosting Made with CADBURY Chocolate
CADBURY White Baking Chocolate, grated, for decoration
- BEAT half of the PHILLY, the caster sugar and egg with an electric mixer until smooth. Set aside.
- BEAT the remaining PHILLY, the butter and icing sugar until combined. Add almonds, sifted flour, cocoa, baking powder and egg whites, beat until smooth.
- SPOON half the cocoa mixture into the base of 12 x ½ cup capacity paper lined friand pans. With the remainder, top the friands on one side with the cocoa mixture and the other side with the PHILLY mixture. Swirl mixtures together in a circular motion with a small knife.
- BAKE in a moderate oven 180°C for 20–25 minutes or until cooked when tested. Stand for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack. Cool.
- SPREAD or pipe the PHILLY Frosting onto the friands then sprinkle with chocolate.